The Citroën 2CV (or “deux chevaux” i.e. “deux chevaux-vapeur [fiscaux]”, literally “two tax horsepower”) is considered one of Citroën’s most iconic cars. It was designed as an economy vehicle with uncompromisingly utilitarian unconventional looks. Conceived in 1936, the 2CV was built in prototype form before WWII. Although 250 of these prototypes were built prior to the 1939 Paris Auto Show, the war intervened and all but four of them were scrapped to avoid having them fall in German hands.
The 2CV was eventually introduced in 1947 and reached production in 1949 although only 924 were built that year. Since then some seven million 2CVs and 2CV variations have been produced with production ending in 1990.
The first 2CVs, designated ‘A’ series, had a 375cc 2 cylinder engine and were rated at two horsepower on the French fiscal rating (hence its name 2CV or ‘two horses’). It had such features as a canvas roof, running from the windshield to the rear bumper (forming the trunklid as well as the roof) and just two instruments: a speedometer and an ammeter. It was available in only one color, an aluminum grey. Over the years. the 2CV slowly evolved to its present-day form. In 1954 it got the 425cc 12 hp engine, in 1957 the metal trunk lid, in 1959 it offered a wider range of body colors, and received a third side window in 1965. Early models featured a “ripple bonnet” hood (up until 1961) and reverse opening front doors (until 1963). Power increased over the years to 425 cc 12hp, then 435 cc 18hp and finally a 602 cc version that delivered a whopping 29hp!
The 2CV was technologically advanced and innovative, with engineering such as front-wheel-drive and a front-to-rear compressed spring interconnected suspension system that gave it an incredible “floating” ride.
In the 1970’s Citroen offered decorative models of various themes, the two most popular being the Dolly and in the 1980’s the Charleston where body and fender colours varied and swooping decals were applied to the doors.
The very last 2CV rolled off the production line on July 27, 1990 at precisely 4 pm not in Levallois, France, where production had ended in 1988 but in Mangualde, Portugal, where the 2CV line continued to produce cars until that day.
Since its debut in 1948, a total of 5,114,959 2CVs were produced worldwide and the last car built resides with an enthusiast in the Alsace region of France.
Truckette versions of the 2CV were also produced as was a 4-wheel drive model called the Sahara with 2 engines; – one in the front and one in the rear.
There was also a plastic bodied model known as the Méhari. (We have a separate gallery for it.)
The Citroën Dyane, based on the 2CV’s suspension and mechanicals, was introduced in to be an upscale economy car. (We have a separate gallery for it.)
The Citroën Bijou was a small fiberglass bodied couple also based on 2CV’s suspension and mechanicals that was manufactured in Citroen’s plant at Slough in England. (We have a separate gallery for it.)