It took some careful planning by the Citroën Autoclub Canada to ensure that a group of Citroën devotees could drive their cars around the Niagara Park region and have free parking amongst hordes of tourists to see the Falls and other venues. Hard work paid off! The ‘Tour D Falls’ meet at Niagara Falls Canada was a fun-packed event. In all fifty-seven CAC and CCNA members attended.
Some folks (Bonnie & Hilliard Goldman and Marianne & Mark Bardenwerper) came by train! Twenty-four Citroën’s came together to enjoy the wonders of Niagara.
Tour D Falls Event Activities:
Friday – Sept. 26:
• 6:00 – 7:30 PM Welcome reception & registration. (Registration welcome packs included a CAC
T-shirt, Citroën pin set, Citroën pennant flags and bottle of Saint André beer!)
• 8:00 PM Dinner at Queen Victora Place – Overlooking the American and Canadian Falls
(Fireworks were at 10:00 PM).
• 10:30 PM Party at George’s room.
Saturday – Sept. 27:
• 8:30 – 9:30 AM Registration
• 9:30 AM Depart for Dufferin Islands.
• 9:45 AM – 12 Noon Journey Under Niagara Falls Tour
• 12:15 – 12:45 PM Lunch
• 12:45 – 2:15 PM Whirlpool Aero Car – Niagara Rapids hike
• 2:15 – 2:30 PM Sir Adam Beck Power Plant overlook.
• 2:30 – 2:45 PM Escarpment overview stop.
• 2:45 – 3:30 PM Tour Queenston Heights – drive to Niagara-on-the-Lake.
• 3:30 – 5:00 PM Jet-Boat Niagara River / Shopping at Niagara-on-the-Lake / Wineries tasting tour.
• 5:00 – 6:00 PM Tour Niagara-on the Lake – return drive to Niagara Falls
• 7:30 PM Meet for dinner at Best Western Hotel lobby/Parking lot.
• 7:45 PM Buffet dinner overlooking the Falls at the Skylon Tower.
• 10:30 PM Beer bash at Best Western Hotel (George’s room).
At Saturday’s dinner we handed out a jigsaw puzzle of Niagara Falls award for the furthest distance travelled in a Citroën. That went to René Bakker who drove a Burton (2CV kit car) 570 miles from Massachusetts.
We also held a draw for a three-dimensional DS in crystal that was won by CAC member John McCulloch. Everyone was a winner, each getting a nice Tour D Falls crystal keychain that illuminated at the push of a button.
Sunday – Sept. 28:
• 10:00 AM Depart for Escarpment /Welland Canal road tour
• 11:00 AM – 11:30 PM Escarpment /Welland Canal road tour
• 12:00 – 1:00 PM Lunch.
• 1:00 – 3:00 PM Wine tasting at Vineland Estates and Tawse Wineries
The event formally ended at 3:30 PM, with some CAC members convoying back to Toronto.