By Marvin McFalls…..
2019 is a landmark year for the French constructor Citroën as they are celebrating their 100th Anniversary. At the recent Rétromobile 2019, which took place at the Porte de Versailles, Paris, on February 6 – 10, there were two significant displays of Citroëns. The first consisting of thirty cars, was presented by L’Aventure a division of PSA dedicated to the preservation of Peugeot, Citroen, and DS models. The second exhibit was part of a private collection belonging to an unnamed
In trying to research the owner for this article, I had virtually no success, other than the fact that the collection may or may not be based in the Netherlands. With the mystery still firmly surrounding the anonymous owner, I figured to focus the spotlight on the amazing collection he or she has amassed, and try to cover each unique model of Citroëns constructed by the coach builder Henri Chapron.
Henri Chapron had established his coachworks company during the 1920s creating custom-car bodies for luxury French marques such as Delage, Delahaye and Talbot in his garage in Levallois Perret, a suburb northwest of Paris. Following the war, like most coach builders his business had significantly slowed by the 1950s. With the introduction of the D, Chapron contacted Citroën in hopes of working out an agreement to buy unfinished bodies to create convertibles. However, no arrangement could be made, so Chapron was forced to buy completed factory examples to convert.
From 1958-1961, Chapron disassembled sedans and constructed convertibles known as La Croisette of which fifty-two examples were constructed, as well as nine special coupes
While the lines were not as clean as later versions, the most significant feature of these early models are the panoramic rear window of the Paris coupe.
Also during this period, they offered a sedan known as the Berline, which was given a Chapron treatment. Consisted of upgraded leather interior, painted wood pattern trim on the lower dash section, spoked deluxe wheel
Le Caddy was shown in 1959 and was the first Chapron DS to be designed with the single piece rear panel. Featuring a lower roofline than the earlier La Croisette, it only offered
The following year saw the launch of Le Dandy – effectively a hard-top version of Le Caddy. The Le Dandy model was available with an optional hard top. Like Le Caddy, Le Dandy with its low roofline was only a two-seater. Over its eight-year run, a total of fifty were made.
Also introduced in 1960, was the Le Concorde coupe. Le Concorde featured a larger cabin with significantly more headroom compared to Le Caddy or Le Dandy and had seating for four. Like Le Caddy, in 1965 it received rear wings, but production was also ended that same year with a total of thirty-eight examples produced in five years.
Finally, in 1961, an agreement was reached, in which Chapron could buy unfinished models ready for his conversions. In exchange, Citroën received Chapron’s components needed to build their own version of the cabriolet. From 1961-1971 Citroën built 1365 examples of the production convertible. Along with the standard or Usine convertibles, Chapron also continued to offer his hand-built special bodied convertibles, coupes and sedans until the end of D production.
The factory approved convertible or Decapotable
For 1962, Chapron introduced the Le Palm Beach, which was the fourth convertible available on the D platform. It featured new squared rear quarter panels, cone-shaped rear lights, and several luxurious accents. In 1964 Chapron added rear wings to make the car look more modern. During Le Palm Beach’s run, a total of thirty-two models were built, of which a significant majority featured the rear wings.
In 1964, Chapron
Chapron’s next creation would be named the Léman coupe. It was debuted at the 1966 Geneva Motor
In 1968, what has to be the rarest of the D based
The following year,
Along with the Mylord, Chapron went on to build other SM based versions including the Opéra sedan, which was also presented at the same Paris Motor Show and up to eight were constructed. While In 1972, two four-door convertible known as the SM Presidentielle, were built for the French government. They were first used during a visit from Queen Elisabeth, and they remained in service until 1995. These cars were the last real creations to come out of Chapron’s garage. Going forward, Chapron did special one-off treatments primarily using the Citroën CX and 604 Peugeot.
Henri Chapron died in 1978, but his widow was able to keep the shop open for several years, before finally closing in 1985.
Photos from Alastair Clements, Laurent Lacoste, Didier Ric
- Les Citroën de Chapron, Olivier de Serres, revue Automomobilia no 101, janvier 2011.
- http://www.citroen-ds-id.com/index.html?ds/DS_Cabrio_Prodnr.html sdfsdfshttps://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Chapron