While several states in the U.S. are preparing to ease stay-at-home restrictions, organizers for the 2020 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, set for August 16, have decided to cancel the week-long event that was to happen on California’s Monterey Peninsula.
“My heart goes out to all of the people who are involved in the Pebble Beach Concours and who are impacted by this decision,” said Concours Chairman Sandra Button, in a press release. “Many of our entrants have been working on a special car for years, and this was to be their moment. Some of our overseas entrants were nearing the point of putting their cars on boats and planes, and their own travel arrangements have long been made. The same is true for many of our international cadre of judges.”
Button said the car selection process for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours was recently completed, and entrants were notified of their acceptance earlier this month with the caveat that the cars were invited to appear at the 70th celebration, even if it was delayed. The 70th Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance will now be held on Sunday, August 15, 2021.
“We thank all of the enthusiasts who have gathered at Pebble Beach time and again to renew long-standing friendships, celebrate great cars, and give so generously to Concours charities and who have already expressed their support for the coming celebration no matter the date,” Button said.
Pebble Beach will carry over its planned events, including a display of past Best of Show winners at the edge of Stillwater Cove and special classes focusing on Pininfarina coachwork, the Porsche 917, Talbot-Lago Grand Sport, Miller racing, Iso, Early Electrics, and the Carrera Panamericana.
Tickets purchased for the 70th Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance will be valid in 2021. Ticket holders who cannot attend on the new date can request a refund by emailing email@example.com.