Taking on a ‘car for the people’ role, as they did over 70 years ago with the 2CV, Citroën today launched a new urban mobility solution accessible to everyone: compact, protective, 100% electric, operable without driving licence, and affordable. “The Ami – 100% ëlectric aims to be a real breakthrough in enabling urban mobility, a solution in sync with new modes of consumption,” said Vincent Cobée, Citroën Brand CEO. “This great idea was a concept one year ago. We are proud that we have made it happen today.”
With speed limits being reduced in many urban areas, restriction to city access by fossil fuel vehicles, and youth not getting driving licenses let alone wanting to purchase a car, Citroën is on-point with the Ami – 100% ëlectric and hopes that being first in the market will enable it to dominate. It’s a bold move and one that no doubt other car manufactures will soon emulate. Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen, to name but three, have shown similar concepts but Citroën is first to put a viable vehicle on the road and with a very aggressive marketing strategy.
Ami – 100% ëlectric is a light quadricycle, which benefits from a smooth clutch-less ride and an instant acceleration from a stand-still (torque immediately available thanks to the electric engine), capable of speeds of up to 45km/h with a range of up to 70 kilometres.
Its 5.5 kWh lithium-ion battery, housed flat under the floor, can easily be charged via the on-board electric cable located in the passenger-side doorway. Once the cable is plugged in, 3 hours are enough for a full charge on a conventional 220 V socket. It can also be charged at a public terminal or Wall Box using a suitable cable.
Silent by design, thanks to its 100% electric technology, Ami – 100% ëlectric aims to be pleasant to use for its occupants. It allows access to all city-centre areas including the low emission zones while keeping running costs low.
With a unique stance and ultra-compact dimensions. Specially designed 14″ wheels are set outwards at all four corners for easy handling. At 2.41m long, 1.39m wide and 1.52m high, it promises everyday agility, as well as easy parking thanks to its ideal turning diameter (7.20 m).
As the embodiment of a modern vision of comfort, Ami – 100% ëlectric promises a peaceful ride with its closed and heated interior. The feeling of space is reinforced with the brightness of its interior, and thanks to a standard panoramic roof. Finally, clever storage areas contribute to well-being on board. In a nod to Citroën’s history, the side windows open by manually tilting upwards like the 2CV.
The optimized onboard space means a functional interior. Inside the passenger compartment, the layout of the two seats offers a sense of space and ease of movement to each occupant, in terms of shoulder width, legroom and headroom. 2 passengers can converse comfortably thanks to the 2 side-by-side seats. A record in such a small size with the sliding driver’s seat (adjustable in length) and the passenger seat (fixed) that can accommodate the tallest of occupants. With this architecture, every nook and cranny is exploited to its fullest while storage space is cleverly distributed throughout the passenger compartment. In addition to a storage recess at the passenger’s feet, which can fit a cabin-sized suitcase, the designers have also created another storage area at the rear.
Design intelligence is at the core of the Ami – 100% ëlectric. Symmetrical parts inspired by the AMI ONE Concept such as the wide doors that are completely identical on the right and left and open in the opposite direction: rear-hinged on the driver’s side to benefit from better onboard accessibility and increased comfort, and traditionally front-hinged on the passenger side. The 2 fixed semi-opening side windows also follow this principle. Front and rear bumpers, bumper undersides and under-body panels are also mirrored at the front and rear.
The passenger compartment also benefits from the rationalization of the number of materials and elements, in line with the clever thinking at the heart of the design process. At the driving position, the eye is drawn to the chequered pattern used for the instrument panel display located on the steering column, borrowed from AMI ONE Concept, displaying relevant information for instant reading. To the right of the steering wheel, there is a dedicated area for accommodating a smartphone, which becomes the main dashboard screen and provides access to navigation and music.
Ami – 100% ëlectric has a body height and driving position at the same level as other vehicles on the road making the driver feel comfortable and protected for more serene journeys. One of a kind, designed as an alternative to public transportation and other individual vehicles that have 2 or 3 wheels (bicycle, moped or scooter). Ami – 100% ëlectric has another real advantage for its occupants: a level of protection greater than that offered by 2- or 3-wheeled vehicles and greater independence and comfort (acoustic comfort, brightness) than public transportation while providing an enclosed means to get directly to your destination in bad weather.
Easy to customize, Ami – 100% ëlectric will be available in one model with one exterior colour (like the original 2CV) an ‘Ami Blue’ but in 7 different versions with customization done through interior element colours of; My Ami Grey, My Ami Blue, My Ami Orange and My Ami Khaki, with exterior graphics echoing the colourful spirit of today’s decorative trends.
DISRUPTIVE DISTRIBUTION NETWORK
Citroën is making it possible to acquire Ami – 100% ëlectric 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Everything, from discovery to order, can be done from your sofa using your tablet or smartphone in just a few clicks via citroen.fr website, which is the entry point for finding out about Ami – 100% ëlectric, which provides information on the product and on solutions adapted to the needs dictated by each person’s needs.
Digital is present in using Ami – 100% ëlectric with My Citroën mobile app via DAT@MI connected box. The application allows drivers to access essential information about Ami at any time via a smartphone, including: range, charge status and time remaining for a 100% charge, mileage, maintenance alerts and after-sales appointment scheduling. The app also makes it easy to locate nearby public charging stations, a \feature offered by Free2Move Services.
My Citroën is also a source of information on:
• Ami product: information, tutorials in the form of videos on how to use it; My Citroën scan which allows accessing product details by simply scanning an item of the urban mobility object with a smartphone,
• Ami maintenance and accessories: information on spare parts and accessories; customers can even order them via a link to Mister Auto website; they also have access to the map of Ami’s authorized service networks; Citroën has created a specific network offering nationwide coverage and which brings together approved independent repairers, Euro Repair Car Services garages and authorized dealers.
While “La Maison Citroën” and a selection of dealerships will serve as a showcase for Ami – 100% ëlectric, the Brand wanted to extend the customer experience beyond the usual context by expanding its distribution mode to partners who share the Brand’s desire for modernity, to evolve with the times, and offer solutions that meet customers’ expectations.
Ami – 100% ëlectric will be visible in the showrooms of major retailers such as Fnac and Darty (more than 30 participating stores in the largest French cities at launch). In other countries, local retailers will be selected. Colourful “pop-up stores” with a surface area of 9 to 15 sq. m will enable Citroën to create tangible touchpoints with its prospects.
In parallel, the Brand also plans to install mobile test drive structures with a surface area of approximately 35 sq. m (in the form of exhibition containers), particularly in shopping centre car parks. Containers will travel through France changing locations every month in order to offer test drives to the greatest number of people.
COST – “À LA CARTE” CUSTOMER FORMULA – FROM 1 MINUTE TO 1 YEAR
Citroën is adopting a disruptive strategy by offering an electric mobility solution at previously unheard price levels, through various offers tailored to the customer’s actual use.
• CAR-SHARING for 1 minute, 1 hour, 1 day, will be operated by dedicated partners like Free2Move, will offer its subscribers an attractive rate of €0.26 per min: a price level comparable or even lower than the majority of mopeds, standard car-sharing and even scooter offers. Ami – 100% ëlectric will be available in the streets as a self-service solution thanks to an app. Mobility solutions keep growing and 2030 forecasts estimate that 1 in 3 kilometres will be done through these solutions. Note that Free2Move is the only service on the market that allows car sharing from 16 years old.
• LONG-TERM RENTAL will be ideal for those who have a permanent need, private or professional, as the first, second or third mobility solution in the household. It is the ideal offer to go to work, for the children, for small trips of older people or entrepreneurs. Ami – 100% ëlectric is accessible and will be offered for rent at €19.99 including VAT per month with an initial payment of €2,644 including VAT. (Long-term rentals of 48 months will benefit from an ecological bonus of €900 including VAT deducted in France). This breakthrough monthly payment plan is much lower than that of public transportation passes or that of many phone plans.
• PURCHASE IN CASH: it is possible to buy an Ami – 100% ëlectric from €6,000 including VAT (Ami Ami version; ecological bonus of €900 including VAT deducted in France). A price that makes Ami – 100% ëlectric extremely competitive compared to numerous other mobility offers on the market.
The opening of orders is scheduled for March 30 in France, and a few months later in Spain, Italy, Belgium, Portugal and then Germany. The first deliveries to customers are scheduled for June in France. Car-sharing at Ami’s wheel will start in Spring in Paris with versions bearing the “Free2Move” logo.
Ami – 100% ëlectric – TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Length: 2.41 m
Width: 1.39 m (excluding mirrors)
Height: 1.52 m
Turning diameter between walls: 7.20 m
Weight without battery: 425 kg
Total weight with battery: 485 kg
Battery: 5.5 kWh
Engine: 6 kW
Here are Citroën’s launch videos for the Ami – 100% ëlectric: